WRITING AND EDITING EXPERIENCE
World Resources Institute • Communications Specialist, Water
March 2020-Present • Washington, D.C.
• Lead communications for the Water Program, craft narratives and communication strategy for Water publications
• Manage blogging, email marketing, social media, paid social advertising, and facilitate events for the Water Program
Communications Specialist, Governance
July 2018-February 2020
• Led communications and facilitated events for the Governance Center, including Greening Governance seminars, provided communications assistance to partner organizations
• Introduced and implemented Asana project management tool to improve workflow and operations among communications staff across the Institute
Electrical Contractor Magazine • Freelance Writer
January 2012-Present • Bethesda, Md.
• Write monthly articles for Industry Watch and Safety Leader on green technology, renewable energy, and safe construction
OutWrite • Planning Committee
December 2017-Present • Washington, D.C.
• Serve on small planning committee organizing OutWrite, Washington, D.C.’s annual LGBTQ literary festival, curate poetry events
• Helped facilitate the move to a virtual festival due to the COVID-19 pandemic for OutWrite 2020, the festival’s 10th anniversary
AWP Writer to Writer Mentorship Program • Poetry Mentor
September 2019-December 2019
• Invited to serve as a poetry mentor for an emerging writer through AWP’s Writer to Writer Mentorship Program
Split This Rock • Poem of the Week Editor
June 2019-December 2019 • Washington, D.C.
• Assist the editorial team in selecting poems to feature in the Poem of the Week series
LGBTQ Writers’ Caucus • Communications Coordinator
March 2018-March 2019
• Served on the LGBTQ Writers’ Caucus board, managed content for the Caucus website, blogs, and Twitter feed, assisted Caucus in preparing for AWP 2019
Society for Science & the Public • Digital Content Specialist
August 2015-July 2018 • Washington, D.C.
• Craft stories showcasing Society’s impact for multiple audiences, manage content for website and blog
• Translate scientific topics for general public
• Revamp Society newsletter for membership-focused approach, increased CTO rate from 8% to 25%
• Train colleagues on updating the website, basic HTML and CSS
• Create style guide and employee newsletter to improve cross-departmental communication
District Lit • Poetry Editor
April 2015-March 2018 • Washington, D.C.
• Evaluated hundreds of poems for online literary journal, worked with writers on edits
• Launched journal’s themed issues, including: Disability and Chronic Illness, Space, and Washington, D.C.
Marketplace • Intern
September 2014-December 2014 • Washington, D.C.
• Pitched stories, researched sources, created graphics
• Set up audio console for guests, conducted tape syncs, scored a reporter’s podcast pilot with music
News21 • Carnegie-Knight Reporting Fellow
January 2014-August 2014 • Phoenix, Ariz.
• Reported on gun laws in America, led the newsroom in implementing digital tools for story design, including SoundCite.JS, Timeline.JS and StoryMap.JS
• Article on rural sheriffs refusing to enforce gun laws published by NBC News
• Worked as a lead designer on the Gun Wars website and Americans and their Guns section, conceptualized background check quiz
Education Week Teacher • Editorial Intern
January 2014-May 2014 • Bethesda, Md.
• Updated home page, managed Facebook and Twitter accounts
• Pitched stories for Teaching Now and BookMarks, copy edited articles, produced articles and video packages
• Created weekly and monthly e-newsletters
Capital News Service • Web Designer
August 2013-December 2013 • College Park, Md.
• Coded interactive graphics for wire service with clients in Md. and D.C.
The Gazette • MDDC Reese Cleghorn Intern
June 2013-August 2013 • Gaithersburg, Md.
• Wrote daily articles for strict deadlines, covered Takoma Park beat
• Collaborated with team of reporters on a special project on the Purple Line light rail
USA TODAY • Social Media Intern
June 2013 • McLean, Va.
• Scheduled social media posts on USA TODAY channels in Spredfast and Mass Relevance, created a LinkedIn strategy
WTOP • Intern
August 2012-December 2012 • Washington, D.C.
• Produced a story on National Novel Writing Month
• Wrote articles and lead-ins, edited audio, shadowed National Security Correspondent J.J. Green on interviews and transcribed audio for his stories
Jiménez-Porter Writers’ House • Social Media Manager
August 2012-October 2013 • University of Maryland
• Created curatorial Facebook page, managed content for the Writers’ House website
• Organized Writers’ House 10th Anniversary gala, produced and designed 10th anniversary publication
• Led poetry board for Stylus, university’s literary magazine
• Created The Writers’ Bloc, the university’s literary-focused newspaper, hired staff, served as Editor-in-Chief
WSOE 89.3 FM • Radio Show Host
September 2009-May 2011 • Elon University
• Hosted weekly shows at the university radio station, an indie music show and a literature-themed show, managed the sound board
The Pendulum • Design Editor
August 2009-May 2011 • Elon University
• Designed features spreads, news pages, opinion columns
• Wrote weekly news and features articles, and opinion columns
AWARDS & PANELS
• News21 Gun Wars investigation won ONA Journalism Award and EPPY Award
• Nominated to participate in News21 Fellowship, 2014
• Selected for MDDC Reese Cleghorn Internship at The Gazette, 2013
• SPJ Sigma Delta Chi Foundation Scholarship, 2013-2014
• Elon University SPJ President, Region 2 Chapter of the year, 2011
• “Crumb-sized” was a finalist in Etchings Press’ 2019 Whirling Prize
• “On that one-way trip to Mars” was nominated for a 2017 Elgin Award
• Poets for Science poetry teach-in leader at the March for Science, 2017
• Reader for 10th annual Split This Rock poetry contest, 2016-2017
Microsoft Office Suite | Adobe Suite | WordPress, Drupal, and other CMS | versatile writing formats | blogging | interviewing | editing | social media | e-newsletters | web production | infographics | HTML | CSS | Salesforce Marketing Cloud, MailChimp, Pardot, and other email management systems | Cision | AP Style | analytics | Asana | Trello | Google Docs, Sharepoint, internal communications | event organizing | conversational Hebrew | conversational Spanish | poetry/creative writing
University of Maryland
• B.A., Journalism
• Minor in Creative Writing
• Jiménez-Porter Writers’ House Notation